What We Fund
We primarily work in the United States—on national and international level issues. Any non-US funding must be multinational in scope.
Creativity is where the best practical solutions begin. We support small and mid-size organizations that bring original thinking and innovative solutions to the following areas:
Sustainable Economic Framework
- Sustainable consumption and land use
- Toxics and waste management
Post Fossil Fuel Science and Practices
- Innovative energy solutions and improved efficiency usage of energy and resources
- Natural carbon sink exploration related to agricultural practices and soil.
Ecosystems Protection and Restoration
- Ecosystems services - research and tools of relevance to large geographic areas
Communication and Leadership
- Communicating value-based living with sustainable use of water, energy, and food resources
- Enhancing next generation leadership
- Enhancing international cooperation and
To realize our mission, the foundation favors:
- New innovative start-up projects or expansion of existing programs with high impact potential
- Projects with international significance and perspective—even if U.S. based
- Interdisciplinary projects
- Projects with emphasis on collaboration and cooperation
- Organizations with demonstrated leadership in developing strategy, communicating vision, and with effective project performance
The typical VKRF grant is a 1-2 year start-up project grant.
VKRF is normally having two open submission periods annually. The foundation does not necessarily receive Letters of Inquiry related to all above mentioned Program Areas in each grantmaking round. Please see “Apply for Funding” for further information.